I am challenged by what I am learning in my nutrition class and the supplemental research it leads to. Two things we need to take seriously, what we eat and how active we are. It isn’t about quantity of life as medicine can prolong that. It is about quality of life. So here are two concepts that are challenging my thinking that I thought I would share.
1. The American diet is negatively impacting our quality of life. What specifically in the American diet has changed?
- Addition of fructose
- Removal of fiber
- Substitution of trans-fats
Watch this thought provoking video from Dr. Lustig.
2. Being active daily is important for your physical and mental health.
Read this study from Dr. Chuck Hillman and brain activity. There are various studies out there on physical and mental health and exercise if you explore further.
So I am challenging myself to be wiser in my eating choices and active in my daily life.
How does this challenge you to live differently?
Sometimes I forget all the benefits to exercise, so I am creating a list. I can use this list to remind myself why I need to prioritize it!
- maintain or lose weight
- increased energy
- reduces stress
- improved mental health
- improves sleep
- reduces risk of heart disease
- controls blood pressure
- lowers cholesterol levels (LDL) & triglycerides
- increases muscle tone & bone strength
- type 2 diabetes prevention
- prevents certain types of cancer
- improves efficiency of breathing
- improves brain activity
- improves immune system functioning
I got a Fitbit this past week, and I am real excited about using it! I won’t draw any big conclusions yet or weigh in completely on my thoughts as I have only been using it a few days. However, I thought I would share a few initial thoughts: Continue reading